Learn Common Words In TamilJune 16, 2022 2023-09-10 17:45
Learn Common Words In Tamil
Learn Common Words In Tamil
Learning Tamil is all about becoming familiar with the common words and phrases and learning them through English at the initial stages. We have curated the set of common words in Tamil that may help you initiate a basic conversation.
Known for being one of the oldest languages in the world, Tamil is spoken by more than 80 million people worldwide. In India, it is the official language of the state of Tamil Nadu and the union territory of Puducherry, and outside India, Tamil is also spoken by a significant number of people in Singapore, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Fiji, South Africa, and so on. Learning Tamil starts with learning alphabets followed by learning common words and phrases in Tamil. This would help the learner in initiating a conversation with the Tamil speaking people and improve their familiarity with the language.
This blog details some of the most common words in Tamil as well as some phrases used by people to communicate with each other.
Greetings in Tamil
Can you think of many different ways we can say Hi or Hello in Tamil? Not so many comes to your mind, essentially because we are used to greeting people in English or some other language. So, when you learn common words in Tamil, the very first thing is to learn how to greet people in Tamil.
Hi or Hello-
- Vanakkam – வணக்கம்
- Varaverkirom – வரவேற்கிறோம்
- Nalvaravu – நல்வரவு
- Vanga Vanga – வாங்க வாங்க
- Good morning – Kalai Vanakkam – காலை வணக்கம்
- Good noon – Madhiya Vanakkam – மதிய வணக்கம்
- Good evening – Maalai Vanakkam – மாலை வணக்கம்
- Good night – Iravu Vanakkam – இரவு வணக்கம்
- Bye – Poiyutu Varukiren – போயிட்டு வருகிறேன்
- How are you? – Eppadi irukareenga? – எப்படி இருக்கறீங்க?
- I am fine – Nan nalamaga irukiren – நான் நலமாக இருக்கிறேன்.
- What is your name? -Ungal peyar enna? – உங்கள் பெயர் என்ன?
- Good talking to you! – Ungalidam pesiyadhil magilchi – உங்களிடம் பேசியதில் மகிழ்ச்சி.
Learn common Tamil words used in Family
Tamil language offers a greater emphasis on family, culture and bonding. Perhaps, if you observe Tamil people closely, they have this habit of enquiring about their relatives as a part of essential conversation whenever they get to meet each other.
In this section we will describe the Tamil words used to address each of the family members.
- Mother- Amma – அம்மா
- Father – Appa – அப்பா
- Grandfather- Thaatha – தாத்தா
- Grandmother- Paati – பாட்டி
- Yonger Sister – Thangai – தங்கை
- Elder Sister – Akka – அக்கா
- Elder Brother- Annan – அண்ணண்
- Younger Brother – Thambi – தம்பி
- Aunt – Atthai – அத்தை
- Uncle – Mama – மாமா
It is important to note that there aer different words to denote younger brother/ sister and the elder ones. This would help build a conversation with the Tamil speaking people and you can start enquiring about how their relatives are doing. This would help you add a personal flavour to the conversation.
5 Magical words in Tamil
Knowing the Tamil words for the 5 magical words- sorry, please, thank you, welcome and excuse me would also help particularly when you travel to places that are located in the interior parts of Tamil Nadu.
- Sorry – Mannikkavum – மன்னிக்கவும்.
- Thank You – Nandri – நன்றி
- Welcome – vanga Vanga – வாங்க வாங்க
- Please – Thayavu Seithu – தயவு செய்து
- Excuse me – Ennai Manniyungal – என்னை மன்னியுங்கள்.
Numbers in Tamil
Learning numbers would help particularly during travel. At Powerkid Tamil Academy, where we offer one-on-one Tamil classes to help aspirants learn Tamil online, we teach numbers at the beginners stage. Following are
- One- Ondru – ஒன்று
- Two – Irandu – இரண்டு
- Three- Moondru – மூன்று
- Four – Naangu – நான்கு
- Five – Aindhu – ஐந்து
- Six – Aaru – ஆறு
- Seven – Yelu – ஏழு
- Eight – Ettu – எட்டு
- Nine – Onbadhu – ஒன்பது
- Ten – Pathhu – பத்து
Parts of the body in Tamil
When we engage in a conversation with others, we often refer to some parts of our body and so it is important to learn different parts of the body in Tamil to be able to make a conversation that is enriching and engaging.
- Head – Thalai – தலை
- Brain – Moolai – மூளை
- Hand – Kai – கை
- Mouth – vaai – வாய்
- Nose – Mooku – மூக்கு
- Tongue – Naaku – நாக்கு
- Lips – Udhadu – உதடு
- Teeth – Pall – பல்
- Eye – Kann – கண்
- Ear – Kaadhu – காது
- Cheek – Kannam – கன்னம்
- Leg – Kaal – கால்
- Thigh – Thodai – தொடை
- Face – Mugham – முகம்
- Finger – Viral – விரல்
- Heart – Idhayam – இதயம்
- Hip – Iduppu – இடுப்பு
- Knee- Mulangal – முழங்கால்
- Nerve – Narambu – நரம்பு
- Shoulder – Thoal – தோள்
- Skin – Thoal – தோல்
- Stomach – Vayiru – வயிறு
- Throat – Thondai – தொண்டை
- Fore head – Netri – நெற்றி
Animal names in Tamil
Learn some of the most common vocabulary words in Engish with Tamil.
- Dog – Naai – நாய்
- Cat – Poonai – பூனை
- Cow- Maadu – மாடு
- Goat – Aadu – ஆடு
- Donkey – Kaludhai – கழுதை
- Camel – Ottagam – ஒட்டகம்
- Lion – Singam – சிங்கம்
- Tiger – Puli – புலி
- Buffalo – Erumai – எருமை
- Fox – Nari – நரி
- Elephant – Yaanai – யானை
- Giraffe – Ottaga Sivingi – ஒட்டகச் சிவிங்கி
- Hippopotamus – Neer Yaanai – நீர் யானை
- Monkey – Kurangu – குரங்கு
- Zebra – Vari kudhirai – வ்ரிக் குதிரை
- Pig – Pandri – பன்றி
- Squirrel – Anil – அணில்
- Wolf – Onai – ஓநாய்
Learn Food and Meal types in Tamil
As a part of learning common English words in Tamil, we have curated some of the food and meal types in Tamil. They also include some of the common four letter words in Tamil.
- Breakfast – Kaalai Unavu – காலை உணவு
- Lunch – Madhiya Unavu – மதிய உணவு
- Dinner – Iravu Unavu – இரவு உணவு
- Bread – Rotti – ரொட்டி
- Rice – Saadham – சாதம்
- Tea – Theneer – தேநீர்
- Milk – Paal – பால்
- Egg – Muttai – முட்டை
Other basic phrases
Following presents the details of the most common vocabulary words in english with tamil and some basic phrases that one can use to build conversations around day to day activities.
- Did you eat? – Sapiteergala? – சாப்பிட்டீர்களா?
- I ate. How about you? – நான் சாப்பிட்டேன். நீங்கள்?
- Hold on for a minute. – Oru nimidam porungal – ஒரு நிமிடம் பொறுங்கள்.
- How to get there? – Angae epdi poga vendum? – அங்கே எப்படி போக வேண்டும்?
- I will come there tomorrow. – Nan nalaiku varugiren – .நான் நாளைக்கு வருகிறேன்.
- I am hungry. Enaku pasikiradhu – எனக்கு பசிக்கிறது.
- Is there a restaurant nearby? Arugil ethenum unavagam ulladha? – அருகில் ஏதேனும் உணவகம் உள்ளதா?
- Where? – Yenge? – எங்கே?
- How? – Epidi? எப்படி?
- When? – Eppodhu? – எப்போது?
- Why? – Yen? – ஏன்?
- Why should? Ethuku? எதுக்கு?
- Who? – Yaaru – யாரு?
If you are looking for how to learn Tamil reading and writing or to learn Tamil online, our online Tamil classes at Powerkid Tamil Academy would help essentially because they are one-to-one, and facilitated by Tamil speaking native language teachers.
To learn more Tamil slang words, apply to our online Tamil classes at www.powerkidtamil.com or contact us at +1 (512) 575-3590 or +91 74033 33135 to book your demo session.